Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Getting the source files

To add your own ISP to Net Usage you don't need to download all the source files. There is an easier way to get the file you want, but I'll describe that in a future blog.

If you want to get all the source files for Net Usage you will need to download a SVN client. SVN is an abbreviation for (Sub)Version Control. If you want to learn more about SVN have a read of this page. Critter has been good enough to provide the source for Net Usage via SVN.

Download and install a free SVN client, I use TortiseSVN, which I find works well for me. Once your SVN software has been installed create a directory somewhere on your computer where you want to store the source files you are about to download.

I did it in the following manner, I opened "My Computer" and navigated to the D: drive. Then in the right pane I right clicked and selected New > Folder from the menu. I called the new folder netusage_source. (d:\netusage_source) Once you have created the directory, right click on it in Explorer and select SVN Checkout from the menu. A dialog will be displayed, in the URL of repository field enter http://netusage.iau5.com/svn/ then click OK.

TortiseSVN should do its thing and start downloading the files to the directory you have created. Once it's finished click OK and the download window will close. You can now open the netusage_source folder and you will have all the source files.

My next blog will describe how to get the isps.js file from the installed package on your computer.


No comments: