Monday, December 17, 2007

Net Usage Installation

One of the questions I've seem many times on the Whirlpool forums is "I've installed Net Usage but I can't see the meter". In this blog I will show you how to install Net Usage.

  1. Download and install the add-on from the Net Usage website. Click on the Download Latest Version link and then click the Install Now button.







  2. Once the add-on has installed and Firefox has restarted Net Usage will not be visible. You need to add the meter to one of your toolbars in order to use it. To add the meter to a toolbar, right click on one of the buttons in the main toolbar (I've right clicked on the refresh button it the capture to the right) and click on Customize... from the menu.


  3. In the customize dialog, find the Net Usage Item (you may need to scroll down a bit to see it) and drag it on to a convenient location on your toolbar. There will be more than one Net Usage item. If you have more than one ISP account you can display a meter for each ISP. Once you have dragged the meter where you want it, click on the Close button.



  4. Now that you have the meter on your toolbar you need to setup the account information in the Preferences menu item. Right click on the meter and select Preferences to open the preferences dialog.






  5. In the Preferences dialog select your ISP, refresh frequency, username, password and any other information you may need. The ISP settings section is customised for each ISP in the list so your window will not look the same is the one to the right. But you get the idea.

    Once the information has been entered click OK. You may need to right click on the meter and select Update Usage (alternatively just left click the meter) to get the initial reading from the ISP.


  6. Once you've updated the usage you should see a bar similar to mine. I have a Peak and Off-Peak allowance so I have a green bar and a blue bar on my meter. If you only have one allowance you will only see a green bar with the percentage used. When you hover your mouse over the meter a dialog should pop-up displaying the information retrieved from your ISP. If you still have a red cross in your meter, hover the mouse over it and an error message will be displayed indicating the nature of the problem.

Finally go to the developers page and read it. There are some trouble-shooting and usage tips near the bottom of the page. Read the two topics "What is the black triangular arrow on the usage bar?" and "What is the target surplus/deficit?", it will explain how to read the meter correctly.


3 comments:

mossnd said...

Hi,

I love this addon, but I can't get the "text" of the display to show up on my mac, only on my PC. This feature would make this addon perfect for my needs.

I'm not sure if this is just my problem, or a general one with macs (I can't see any info out there). I've disabled all my other extensions and still it doesn't work.

If the info helps, I'm with Optus.

Cheers,

mossnd

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if this add-on works macs.

Ask on the Whirlpool forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=803008&p=15

someone else should know on there. If not the developer often stops by for a comment.

Unknown said...

One other possibility, make sure you have text selected. Right click on the meter in the toolbar and select "Display Text" from the menu. Then select the text you want to see.

By default the installation has text displayed so I'm sure you would've seen something after installation.

The developers email address is at the bottom of the netusage homepage.
http://netusage.iau5.com/